Monday, October 26, 2009

Tulpan

It is impossible to resist the opportunity to use the word yurt in a sentence. Even if the movie had stunk I'd still be excited to say something like, Never have I seen so much dung heaped about a yurt!

The Kazakh steppe looks to me rather like the Oklahoma panhandle, only more so. Flattened by the immensely azure sky is a spread of chalky canvas on which to sketch an existence. Asa, a would-be shepherd just back from the Russian navy, does exactly that: sketch on the pale side of his neckerchief a camel and a modest home and some guiding stars. His own dustblown paradise. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good yurt must be in want of a wife. Except Asa hasn't yet got a yurt, which makes two problems.

9 comments:

  1. Haven't seen this one yet. I'll have to check it out. Looks like it was released in Poland so I'll just have to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I hadn't shat in my yurt, now even my yak doesn't visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad I always already nominated for my thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made no sense... replace "always" with "was"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your senseless comment shall stand for all time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nooooooooooooo!!!!

    I'm wearing a cape! Who wears a cape?!

    ReplyDelete