Thursday, October 15, 2009

Adventureland

This is a really good movie, which is problematic because I want to encourage you to see it, but yet I must grumble about the unavoidable fact that it's a boy meets girl story and well handled though it is I just don't really care about boy meets girl stories anymore. Everything else about the movie is great, so please weight my grumble accordingly.

Adventureland's best elements bear comparison to Clerks as a chronicle of the overeducated and underskilled unexpectedly employed among a wage class they hadn't imagined when writing senior theses on Gogol. Gradually the ringing shellshock of postgraduate ambitions gone awry fades into the tinny repeat of corporate-approved PA music and a lungful of fried dough aerosol alerts you to the choking sensation that someone is taking in the slack on the parental tether.


In other totally unrelated news, I'm tired of watching all these popular movies. Time to crack open some Soviet art house pics.
...
I was in Chipotle the other day and they played Waitress in the Sky by the Replacements. I heard the intro and I was like, Whoa, this sounds just like the Replacements instead of whatever shitty band it's probably going to turn out to be...it sure would be great if I wasn't the only person I know who loves the 'Mats. But then it was the 'Mats! But no one else in the restaurant looked as excited as me. So anyway, listen to more 80s college rock. The Adventureland soundtrack has some prime cuts from the Replacements and Hüsker Dü and power pop influences Nick Lowe, Big Star.

3 comments:

  1. I frequent a coffee shop in New Brunswick (a chain called PJ's) that frequently plays the Velvet Underground, the Decemberists, and obscure Beatles tracks. I think it makes me like their food more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got the chance of watching "Green Day - The American Idiot" Musical ! Apparently the 2nd time an album was turned into a musical (first time it was with the Beatles!)
    And it made the album a LOTTA better! The story made was great! I am simply amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for American Idiot On Ice.

    ReplyDelete