Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Run Fatboy Run + Big Nothing

My high opinion of Simon Pegg may have been premature. Let us hereafter ascribe primary writing credit on Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz to Edgar Wright, since evidently Pegg's judgment falters rather badly outside the nest. Would you believe me if I told you that the great Shaun nurtures a working friendship with former Friend, David Schwimmer? Ugh! They costar in the toxically uninspired Big Nothing (in which Pegg dribbles forth a hideous facsimile of a Southern US accent), followed by Run Fatboy Run, a puzzlingly gutless Pegg vehicle that served as Schwimmer's directing debut... Yeelch! Even more bizarrely, RFR was co-written by Pegg and Michael Ian Black, for whom I also had some regard as a timely comic wit. Is Schwimmer like some kind of terrible infection? An associate offhandedly remarked, upon hearing my description of these two dismal collaborations, that it sounds like Schwimmer-Pegg could be "the Merchant Ivory of shit". Ew ew ew. I don't wanna talk about it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment